Monday, 14 March 2011

From way back when

Here is a short story that a magazine in Zimbabwe that is now defunct published. I never got paid for it, but it I did get a lot of feedback, which was gratifying. For once, I am not going to gripe about not being compensated. Things were tough for the country at that time. They are no better now, but when this story came out, there would not have been the foreign currency to pay me and even if there was, the publisher would not have been permitted to send it to me. Knowing that I was able to put a smile on my compatriots's faces at a time when there was little to smile about is reward enough.

We were going to have several detective stories featuring Lucy Kurauone, but Trends folded up, unfortunately. It was such a brilliant magazine in the mould of publications that had already gone in to extinction, Parade, Horizon, Prize Beat etc.

Someone asked me if there is a connection between Lucy Kurauone and Ce-Ce Chisango, seeing as they are both female detectives. Well, their precursor is a girl in my junior school class named Lucy, who said she wanted to be a detective and also the Enid Blyton books I read as a boy. Today, Enid Blyton's books have fallen foul of Britain's new Politically Correct dispensation and are routinely denounced as sexist, racist and elitist, but I distinctly remember that she had girl detectives. The Lucy I went to school with never became a detective, but she remains the closest person in real life who can claim to have inspired both Lucy Kurauone and Ce-Ce Chisango.

Here is the story, scanned from a copy of Trends my sister Thelma sent me. I think if you click on the image, it gets bigger.

My name in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment