Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Writer of the Year 2011

As most of you know by now, I have won the Writer of the Year category at this year's Zimbabwe Music and Arts Award ceremony held in High Wycombe over this last weekend. I had planned on going, but had to cancel at the last minute. Still, I hear it went well.

I am deeply moved by the response of the Zimbabwean public. I had no idea I had started to make inroads back home and in the community here. This has always been my burning goal, to write for my people. It has also been my wish to see Zimbabweans acknowledge the literary renaissance that is happening right now.

I just want to thank all those who voted. I would also like to pay tribute to all those who were also nominated, especially Adel Kaseke, who was walked away with the Book of the Year Award for her Crying Heart. The whole process was a two-horse race between me and her. I haven't read her book yet, but I am looking forward to doing so before the end of the year.

Thank you very much, every one who voted. Thank you very much to the organisers of the ZIMAA event.

No comments:

Post a Comment